Friday, July 2, 2010

Follow Up to "Lucky 13 Surprise Materials in Art"

As an artist, I love using acrylic paints the most, along with the close second encaustics (beeswax paints). I have a small collection of oil and watercolor paints as well as pigmented inks…but keep returning to acrylics. First love in this case lasts the longest!
A few weeks ago, I posted "Lucky 13 Surprise Materials in Art." Jason, a blogger friend and awesome photographer, asked me some questions. As always, his questions keep me down to earth. Sometimes, I forget and slip into "art jargon." Here are his questions followed by my answers: 
1. Why is it that you choose to use these materials in your art and not just the standard oils, watercolors etc? 
The materials change the quality and/or use of the paint. The beach sand, sawdust, bandages, white glue, tea, and instant coffee give textures and react to the paint in different ways. For example, beach sand absorbs paint while white glue resists paint. Tea and coffee stain. Bandages give raised grid lines under the paint. White glue also gives lines, as thick, thin, broken, or pooled as wanted.
2. What is it about these items that you feel adds to your art? Is it the texture or does the media play a more active roll (such as sand for beach paintings etc) ? 
Some items just make a more interesting piece of art, for instance, using a broken concrete roof tile instead of a canvas. The cut/recycled wood is for use with the encaustics (beeswax paint) and is another way of being "green" (or as Andy my fiance' would say, being cheap, LOL).  Sometimes the theme for the art influences what I use, like beach sand in a beach painting, but that is infrequent. What is used in my art truly depends on the materials at hand and my mood.
3. Another category that was not included in Jason's questions, only because it did not occur to him yet, is "how do you use some of these items?" Some of the items in my list are used to "help" me paint. For instance, the rubber stamps, cardboard, and white glue help design and composition. The lamination film acts like a printing block for me, creating paint designs transferred to paper that I later manipulate. The recycled office paper has been used as a under-drawing for encaustic paintings as well as wrapping paper to deliver an art piece. 
Special thanks to Jason Eldridge for his questions. If you have questions, please ask! I will either answer your comment directly from my post or create a new post like this one to answer you. 


Palm Tree on Concrete - 2009 - about 10 x 8 inches - $30

Smiles,
Angeline Marie of

2 comments:

Jason L. Eldridge said...

Awesome blog post! You answered my questions perfectly. You also let me in on a little secret... Painting can be complicated and it shows the amount of thought and effort that goes into each piece. Thanks for answering and I am sure I will have additional questions about painting as time goes on. Personally, I still have some trouble with stick figures (why I chose photography) but your work makes me want to paint... I will have to settle for using light as my medium but I know where to look when I want to enjoy awesome paintings! Not to mention I get some great ideas by looking at what you do. Both the palm tree and the horizon above are great uses of the "rule of thirds" and a fantastic use of what I would have considered trash.

Angeline said...

Jason: You are the reason for this post. THANK YOU...for all your support. The "rule of thirds" is also a rule for painting, LOL. I think of it often.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...