Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Art in Unexpected Places - Indianapolis Airport

Indiana Flight by Martin Donlin (poem by Joseph Heithaus) Handblown glass with acid etching (#32 in brochure)


In my travels, I have noticed that airports, including Miami and Fort Lauderdale, try to have artists display their work in their concourses. This time, the windows in the Indianapolis Airport were decorated with splashes of color, the above photograph being the center piece of the area Andy and I walked. Most of the art in Indianapolis was evenly distributed between secured areas (concourses) and public areas (before security checks). At Guest Services, there is a hardcopy of the brocure available to check off while you walk. That was a great and friendly touch by the designers of that airport!


The next photo shows the poem that was in the display. The simplicity, brightness, and saturated color just caught my imagination. The words are just icing. 

Most of the art in Indianapolis was evenly distributed between secured areas (concourses) and public areas (before security checks). At Guest Services, there is a hardcopy of the brochure available to check off while you walk. That was a great and friendly touch by the designers of that airport! Thank you to the Guest Services counter and the Concourse A's Security Personnel (who allowed me to get a few photos of "Autumn Prairie Morning" without too much fuss).

Take a look around you while you travel. Art shows up in unexpected places: airports, small thrift stores, out of the way small shops. Art shows up while you visit monuments, shopping malls, and historical sites. Notice art. Enjoy art. Stop and see it. I did - these photos of the many I shot during my vacation are just a sample. 

Because of this post, I learned that the Indianapolis Airport has art throughout and has an online guide for those who enjoy it. After my signature, there are a few more photos that I shot around the airport. This was the art show I wanted to sneak into the trip, and it was well worth the walking!

Do you have a favorite memory of where you were startled by art? Where was it? What were you doing before you noticed it? Share - so everyone can find it, please? 

Smiles,
Angeline Marie of



Chrysalis by James Wille Faust Painted canvas and sandblasted glass (#3 in brochure)



Night by Ann Gardner Glass tile, aluminum leaf and imitation gold leaf



Detail of Autumn Prairie Morning by Dixie Friend Gay Glass tile

3 comments:

Jason L. Eldridge said...

That had to help break up the monotony of the airport walk. Sadly for me the first time I really noticed "art" was while taking a B&W photography course in college. Back then I really only viewed photography as a means of documentation. In the class there was this one guy that stood above the rest and I was much happier to look at his images vs. mine. That is when I started viewing photography as more than just documentation. I suddenly realized that the art is already in the world and that I just had to find a way to capture the moment. From then on art has been part of my life.

JJ said...

A-M: Airport art is VERY cool. I have been following it for years. Check out this site:

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&rlz=1G1ACAWCENUS374&q=airport+art&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=48JBTO2bMYH68AaJjbHDDw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CDEQsAQwAw

Angeline said...

Jason: LOL, sometimes it takes a class to notice art.

JJ: WOW!!!! What a great link!!!!! Thanks!!!! Some of the better ones seem to be identifiable with the airport's area. For instance, there is one photo of art that could be in Seattle, Washington or Vancouver, Canada, or Alaska....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...