Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Fathers Day - 7 Memories to Honor Papa

My father sends me pinta rojas (red-winged blackbirds) and pennies from heaven. We shared love for dogs, cats, fed birds, loved going to the park, and boxes and pens. In honor of Father's Day, this is a little virtual thank you to him.

1. Buying pizza delivery for our lunch on long summer days while Mama was at work.
2. Finding drawings and stories about Pinta Roja or my well loved stuffed animals when coming home from school.
Because I used to stick these inside my closet's door, I was only
able to save a few when we moved from the house. This is a
surviving sample of mi Papa's style. ©1980s by Victor Hugo Martinez.

3. Driving to the closest Cuban bakery after school for the never-to-be-found-again style of pastelitos de queso y guayaba (pastries of cheese and guava).
4. Krispy Kreme visits always had him lifting me over the window sill to see the fresh backed donuts.
5. The way Papa would take a nap at the beach, and when in the water, his swimming style.
6. His watching me while reading a book at Oak Grove Park, as I explored tadpoles in the lake and rode my bicycle. 
7. Checking the air conditioner temperature control in my room while on his nightly rounds.

If your father is still around, tell him how much you love him not just today, but every day. You never know what you have until its gone.

Save the date! You are invited to share more art on Saturday, August 20th, at the Children's Gallery and Art Center!
Remember, too, to explore Paris, France with me during my Fridays in France posts which began Friday, May 6th.

Smiles!!!!
Angeline Marie of

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...