Thursday, October 24, 2013

On Cruises, Art is Sold, Buyer Beware

I finally began my childhood dream of being an artist in 1999.

Before that was school and university...and being a purchaser of art.

My first cruise was in 1993. After a nine year pause from cruising, I still remember buying art from the auctions on those cruises. See, I already knew about over priced prints, giclees, lithographs and serigraphs. Mama and I bought an original cartoon cell of Garfield, signed by Jim Davis and a Speed Racer print signed by the original cartoonists. Both are still cherished and hang in my current home. Lucky me, my husband Andy thinks they are both cool. 

I still buy art from other artists, but remain just as picky about my choices. I will buy what I can best afford, and that includes prints. Just, while on our cruise, I will be making my own art, LOL. Wonder if I can be in the auctions, but sell my small pieces? Yeah...right...I'm not Peter or Petra Max (yet!).

I will preface the link by saying you can avoid most problems by buying art directly from the artist...like directly from me. LOL

Here is the link I found very interesting, for beginners and experts alike:

Common Problems When Purchasing Fine Art – Artist Marketing Resources

An original available on my website, 8 x 8 inches, $100




1 comment:

JJ said...

A-M: You are right on the money with comments on cruise art. I also found out the hard way long ago.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...