Thursday, February 20, 2014

7 Reasons for Making Small Paintings


One of my favorites from January's 30 in 30 challenge. Day 19. Still
available for $28, Balboa Tree Memories
1. Small projects in different stages of finish help me feel like progress is happening.

2. Smaller paintings are more affordable for those interested in my art.

3. Smaller paintings allow more options on how to display them.

4. Experimenting on a small surface is not as scary.

5. Less materials are used but with a greater visual impact overall. 

6. Less storage space is needed for inventory.

7. The gratification of finishing a painting occurs more often and helps me keep going as an artist.

Lately, I've been asking myself if I want to paint larger than the occasional 11 x 14 inch canvas. Myself answers with "not really...." When I ask myself why...all those reasons listed show up in my mind. My favorite reason is #7...because that moment of "Yay! It's done! Next one!" keep me returning to my sketchbooks and studio.  

In case you are new to my last couple of years art work, my art work has included the following sizes: 
3 x 5 inches, 
4 x 6 inches, 
8 x 8 inches, 
12 x 12 inches, and 
11 x 14 inches. 

What do you think? Any reasons to make larger paintings? 

Like? Please share the blogpost...or Facebook...or leave a comment...or enjoy it in your home for $200 that includes shipping and handling. 

If you would like to see more paintings in person, please visit one of my favorite restaurants, Chefs on the Run Assorted Cuisine. 

Coming to the Homestead Community Center, my exhibit of Absence of Green will begin on May 1st, 2014. Hope to see you there! 

If you would like to see more paintings online, please visit my website

Angeline Marie of

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...