Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Flor - a Small Painting

Flor - encaustic techniques - 8 x 8 inches - 2010

Sometimes, I need a little break. This little one was it. Using the book Encaustic Workshop, I decided to play with some materials not mentioned, like pollen. 

A neighbor treated us to beautiful Asian lilies, and I spent a few hours just sketching them over and over again in pencil and charcoal. [Thank you, Kiki, if you read this!] One sketch really caught my attention, so I transferred it to the board. The pollen from the lilies was used to get the yellows, acrylics were used to set the pollen and place the other colors. The final stage was applying encaustic paint (beeswax). 

This was a great break, especially in the simplicity and beauty of the flower. The title is "Flor," which is "flower" in Spanish.

Smiles,
Angeline Marie of



4 comments:

Jason L. Eldridge said...

That looks great. I can't put my finger on what I really like but I just know I like it... Kim (my wife) says that she loves the color blends.

Do you always sketch on a pad and then transfer it to the canvas or other surface? When you say pollen what do you mean exactly. Is it real pollen from the flowers? What a great concept! As always, I am looking forward to your next post. Oh, and the answers to my questions.

Angeline said...

Jason: Thanks to Kim =)
I don't always sketch on a pad and then transfer the drawing.
Yes, real pollen from the actual lilies. That is the yellow/brown in the painting. Cafe cubano, instant coffee, tea, berries, wine...all have a natural dye. I think I've used all of those things in my paintings at one time or another. =)

JJ said...

A-M: I really appreciate the background. Exceptional!

Jason L. Eldridge said...

And I thought paintings were just made from paint. I have a lot to learn. Thanks for the update!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...